Friday, February 13, 2009

Jay Dee's Impact

James Yancey, AKA J Dilla, Jay Dee, and so much more, passed away three years ago this month. His legacy lives on through music, and it can be heard in so many songs. Jay Dee is most definitely one of the reasons I make music. The way he touched so many people through music...I wanna do that one day.

Earlier today, a good friend of mine wished me (through text) a happy Dilla week. It was funny because when I got that text, I happened to be listening to Madlib's newest Beat Konducta offering, which doubles as a tribute to Dilla (entitled the Dil Withers Suite & Dil Cosby Suite). My friend David was listening to A Tribe Called Quest's "The Love Movement" on the other end (which the bulk of the production was handled by the Ummah & J Dilla). No one will probably understand the importance of J Dilla to both of us, as well as his impact to our lives, but it's just a crazy feeling. There's just a strange connection through the music.

Anyway, I have so many fond J Dilla memories because he created music for so many of my favorite artists (himself included), but all I gotta say is J Dilla lives through the music! Good music forever! Turn it up!

No comments: