Thursday, June 25, 2009

Michael Jackson Forever!

Man...heavy stuff. You already know what happened, and from that, you can gather that Michael Jackson affected you one way or another.

I know that like, for the last decade, MJ was portrayed horribly because of the things going on in his personal life. I'm disgusted already by how the media is praising him currently, because just a few months ago, they were completely against him. And to those that are dissing him still; the dude died. A fellow human being DIED. It doesn't matter what people have done in their lives, NO ONE deserves to die. I do find it comical sometimes when these attitudes stem from so called "religious" people: "Michael Jackson has done horrible things so him dieing doesn't matter" - is this how God taught you to be? Is this the way Jesus wants us to think? Ok, but that's a whole different topic.

It's undeniable; Michael Jackson REVOLUTIONIZED music. The way we do music, the way we think about it, the way we dance, the way we do music videos-EVERYTHING. I gotta give props to MJ for always saving a party. You could be at a party and stupid music would be playing but the moment those Michael Jackson classics came on, you were on the dance floor. Luckily, that situation will remain, because the music lives on. Michael Jackson most definitely influenced the way I dress, the way I do music, the way I think about music and listen to it, and the way I dance. He truly is the King of Pop and is the greatest entertainer in the world. Not to mention, my favorite song of all time is "The Lady in my Life", a song I hope one day to play at my wedding while I dance with my wife. That song is simply incredible. I also remember way back in the day, I recorded the "Thriller" video (as much as it scared me) and I would play that video in slow motion. I learned the whole dance...and I remember it 'til this day. Michael Jackson influenced basically ALL RnB artists to come after him: Usher, Justin Timberlake, Chris Brown, Mario, Omarion...that's not even the tip of the iceberg of how many people he's influenced, and that's just in the RnB genre!

Man...I can't think of anyone who has more star power than MJ and can rock a show as well as he can. There will never be another. I truly hope that in the midst of all this, people can separate the art from the artist and realize that the music is timeless and will probably be better than anything any musician in the world will ever make. I see a quote from Jackson's "Rock with You" being recited at different sites:

"And when the groove is dead and gone...you know that love survives, so we can rock forever..."

That sums it up right there. MJ and Dilla, two of my biggest musical influences gone, but the music lives on...don't front!

2 comments:

Kyle Elliott said...

think there will be a Michael Jackson and Tupac Shakur album coming soon? Thriller V2.0pac

Electric Kitsch said...

i couldn't have said it better! poignant and SO true -- he was an ICON.